Monday, July 18, 2011

Google Goggles: Augmented Reality (Updated 8-6-11)

When will be able to effectively google the world?  Do you know what Google Goggles are?  Here is a link to the site: http://www.google.com/mobile/goggles/#text

I was never forced into taking a Botany course throughout my public school experience in NYC.  As a matter of fact I don't think I even had the option in school.  I perhaps, could have sought opportunities as a high school student with the parks department but the urge never struck me.

Now as I live in Valhalla, NY in Westchester County I live in a watershed green environment.  The Kensico Dam is within walking distance I have a huge yard in the back of my house and a healthy lawn in front as well.

With absolutely no Botany experience I have no idea what plants names are and very little clue to what type of care would be best to grow what I like and weed out what I do not.

For example, the tree in my front yard is blooming but I have no idea what is called.  Here is a picture can you tell me what it is?  I have included a close up of the flowers which are now in bloom.
Tree in front of my house.  What type of tree is it?
Flowers from the same tree.  What are the flowers called?































Here are some more pictures from our family walk this morning.
#1 Unidentified Tree

Tiger Lily (Identified by a blog reader - Augmented Reality)
Hydrangeas (Identified by Association Headquarters)
My Kids!  At least I know their names! :-)

Black-Eyed Susans (Identified by Association Headquarters)


I am anticipating that we will have an app like google goggles that will one day be able to identify a rose and the difference between harmless ivy and poison-ivy.  Right now Goggles works on things like books and, as Lindsey Rosenthal has proven, wine labels.  Goggles also is very interesting to use with business card as it can save the business card to your contact as well as google the person on the spot.  The latter feature is probably the more useful as I prefer CamCard on Android to capture my business cards in my contacts.

Who will provide "photo plant search" first?  It is certainly an app that I would buy, as I am very curious about what is growing around me.

Here is a great article on how Augmented Reality may soon be making QR codes irrelevant.
"Augmented Reality Kills The QR Code Star" | http://ow.ly/5WJ8x

2 comments:

  1. Not sure about #1, but the flowers look like a hibiscus #2 Tiger Lily #3 hydrangea #4 Black-Eyed Susan.

    PS: I've often wondered if there was such an app. that would let you Google based on a photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for identifying the flowers. That was a huge help and a great example of social sourcing. I apologize for not replying sooner. I honestly thought I had before. What a bad bloghost I am :-(

    Augmented Reality will be really amazing as it gets up and running. Facial recognition is something that will force us all to be a lot more honest as well as make sure our civil rights are protected.

    ReplyDelete